Monday, January 11, 2010

Laryngitis

My voice has been hiding from me for about 5 days now.
Each winter, I'll go through two or three days where by voice gets a little scratchy and it sounds funny when I try to sing. But I've never had it go COMPLETELY away. This was crazy. Last Monday at school my voice began its usual winter scratchiness. But by Friday, it hadn't gone away and had, in fact, gotten much worse. It's been interesting trying to command the attention of a room full of middle school students without being able to speak above a whisper. Luckily I have great students who were very thoughtful and tried to stay quiet. But though I could handle middle schoolers with a bell, clapping, and a white-board. I wasn't sure how I would manage speaking in church on Sunday.
So I called my bishop. When he kept telling me he couldn't understand what I was saying, we both knew that I wouldn't be able to speak, at least not effectively. Since I was supposed to speak about the new changes to the Personal Progress program in the Young Women's, the task fell to my fabulous secretary and Personal Progress leader, Xazmin. I went to her house (so she could actually understand what I was whispering) to break the good news! She accepted graciously and gave a FABULOUS talk yesterday. I felt it was very insightful and definitely different than the route I was taking.
Maybe that's why my laryngitis stayed so long this time. =)
(But now I'm ready to have my voice back...)

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I hope it comes back soon! I agree, she did a wonderful job. I am so excited to start doing Personal Progress again.