Sunday, May 3, 2009

Garden

In my entire adult life, I've never really done a garden. I planted a watermelon plant once. Oh, and I harvested tomatoes from volunteer tomato plants.
But this year, I decided to actually plant a garden. Our new house has six beautiful planter boxes that I just couldn't let go to waste. (Also, my friend Kiirstin has a very green thumb and has inspired me to attempt to grow things.) So I planted. And planted. Why start small? We planted corn and peas and wax beans and zucchini and summer squash and tomatoes (for salsa-Matt and I don't actually eat tomatoes) and little baby pumpkins.

We have yet to find if I'm actually capable of keeping plants alive and healthy, but I'm ready to give it a try. Maybe Kiirstin will take pity on my poor plants and weed them every once in a while...

4 comments:

Dadra said...

Yeah for fresh home-grown vegetables (hopefully anyway!!) We're trying our hand at some too this year...time will tell if we're successful!!

Jennifer said...

gardens are so much fun! I have to check on mine every day. ok some times twice a day. I'm a nerd. It's so much fun to watch things grow. Then I pray Alona and Susannah will help the plants out so I don't kill them. :) I want to try your salsa!

Alona said...

Those planters are great! I'm glad you're putting them to good use!

Rynell said...

Way to go! I just read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Now I'm wishing I planted a garden. I hope you'll post photos of your harvest. ;) Or the weeds, ya know, to keep it real.